Saturday, July 4, 2009

Full Of Crap

Today we're going to talk about a rather unpleasant topic.
Constipation. (Or being full of crap, literally.)

City dwellers like you and I are faced with high stress, fast paced lifestyles. The direct consequences of this are irregular eating habits, unsound sleeping patterns, and aplenty illnesses and pains. Especially for women, the problem of constipation is one that plagues many. I have had this problems for many years (decades, even!) and so I'm totally qualified to share with you the remedies that work. I've tried medicine, exercise, alternative chinese medicine, etc. They are of little use. There are only two things that has ever work for me. Ever.

1) Drink water first thing in the morning
As one of the reason for constipation is the lack of water intake in the body, this results in the body absorbing the water from the digested food in the colon. Hence we must replenish the water loss. Drink (at least) a glass of water when you wake up. Let it be the first thing you do once you open your eyes -- before you brush your teeth, before you check your blackberry, before you figure out how you get home the night before.

Drink a glass of room temperature water. Forget warm water, or water with lemon. Or apple cider vinegar. Just plain water of any source (yes, even tap water if they are potable.) I place a bottle of water next to my bed and reach for it even before I hit the first Snooze button. Then when I finally hit the 63rd Snooze and ready to get out of bed, my body is well-rehydrated after the night's sleep. Your body absorbed this water quickly as it has been devoid of water during the your sleep. This water is imperative in preparing your bowel for the day's activity ahead.

2) Have oatmeal for breakfast
If you are like me who love having hot breakfast, then oatmeal is the best thing you can have! Oatmeal is full of fibre which is the nemesis of constipation. Insoluble fibre (like wheat and oat) adds bulk to the stools by softening them so they move easily through the digestive tract. Cook your oatmeal with lots of water so to make it into a watery porridge. Add two tablespoonful of condensed milk and you'll have a perfect healthy breakfast recipe! It's totally yummy! There are days when I wake up craving for the smooth warm cereal first thing in the morning!

Some days when I am lazy to cook, I'll have oatmeal for all three meals! I have a superb savoury oatmeal recipe that'll nurse my hungry stomach in matter of minutes! That's the time one takes to cook the wax-coated, deep-fried, MSG-laden instant noodles! I ♥ oatmeal!

Water and oatmeal have to work hand-in-hand to resolve the problem of constipation. Fibre retains the water we take in. So without fibre, the water we drink gets absorbed directly into the bloodstream or removed from the body as urine. So we need to increase the fibre we eat as we increase the water we drink.

I've never believed these methods when others encouraged me to try -- I'm a pretty skeptical person, you see. But out of desperation, I did. And it's changed my life forever. Two simple things you need to do to make those toilet trip more pleasant.

Remember:
Drink water first thing in the morning + Oatmeal breakfast
No more expensive colposcopy or Ducolax or sweat-breaking toilet trips.

2 comments:

  1. Thats totally not a prob for me and LS queen. It's not longer a question of how many times we go but how long each time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another suggestion for a yummy oatmeal breakfast:

    Add 2/3 cup of low fat-high calcium milk to 40g oatmeal and cook in the microwave on high for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 a tablespoon of honey. YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete