Monday, July 6, 2009

Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen

No, not the song by Baz Luhrmann. Although it is one of my favourite song. I'm writing about sunscreen.

My Sunday morning was spent at the sea wakeboarding. Damn right, your Lifestyle Queen is getting all healthy and sporty lately, what with the yoga and the wakeboarding. Although this was a common phenonmenon today...
I woke up to an overcast sky this morning. It was perfect for the girls and I since we're not too keen on the tan-look. My friend brought along her spray-on sunscreen and I had a go at it.I hereby declare sunscreen spray is the only way to go for sun protection! Spray-on is so easy to use and is the most efficient way to get the sunscreen all over your body evenly. Also, no more white patches on your skin that happens when the cream sunscreen is not rub into the skin sufficiently. Run out and get this from your nearest drugstore.

Especially when doing water sports, one must remember to keep replenishing your sunscreen. Everytime I was in the water and I wipe the water off my face, I removed some sunscreen from my face too. Thus, the result is a nose as red as Rudolph the red nose reindeer. And my lips are burning and slightly raw as if I just drank tom yum soup. Not a pleasant feeling. Or sight, to say the least.

I also remember my cousin lamenting the tan lines around the top of her feet after our holiday in southern France recently. Or my sister teasing her boyfriend about his sunburnt scalp after their Kota Kinabalu getaway last week. Splattering on sunscreen is only the first step to sun protection. Here are other top tips to sunscreen wearing:

1) Check the expiry date.
Yes, they have expiry date. The active ingredients in the sunscreen may break down and lose their effectiveness after certain period. The last thing you need is a case of a bad sunburn and bad rash from the expired chemicals.

2) SPF 30
This is more than enough. Sun Protection Factor 30 allows you to stay in the sun 30 times longer before you get sunburnt. SPF 30 already blocks out 97% of the harmful UVB rays. Do you really need more? Feel free to use higher SPF, the difference is little.

3) UVA and UVB
Did you know sunscreen is not the same as sunblock? Chemicals in sunscreen absorbs the UV radiation whereas those in sunblock reflects the UV rays to protect your skin. Absorb? Reflects? I say potato, potahto. Just use a sunscreen/sunblock that has UVA and UVB protection. Period.

4) Apply half an hour before going into the sun.
This is to allow the active ingredients in the sunscreen to start working on the skin.

5) Reapply every 15-30 minutes.
I say 30 minutes. I'm really not keen on running for my can of spray-on every 15 minutes in a game of beach volleyball, or putting down my book before I can finish one chapter in that 15 minutes on the beach chair.

This is the crux of the matter -- the list of places one always miss while applying sunblock:
  1. Eyelids
    The skin around your eyes are much thinner than the rest of your face. Surely one shouldn't neglect this delicate region.

  2. Lips
    Do you want goth-inspired dark lips? Use a SPF 15 lip balm for goodness sake.

  3. Ear
    Earlobe and back of ear are the spots we most often missed.

  4. Top of feet
    Do you know how difficult it is to get rid of the tan line of your sandals or mary-jane strap if you forget to apply sunblock on your feet?

  5. Back of neck
    Flaky wrinkly neck is not pretty. You don't want others to think you're diseased.

  6. Scalp or exposed hairline
    Mostly for guys with really short hair. Take note, please.

This shall be your checklist the next time you apply that sunscreen. Now I have to go nurse my tender nose and burnt lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment