Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Just Do It (In Secrecy)

Secrecy is the first law of Magic
- Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way

It is no secret that I took a month of leave to come home, in preparation of my exit from my current overseas posting. It is also no secret that I had intention to quit last year, and we're into the second half of this year thus my plans have been much delayed. It irks me to the core whenever someone teases, "you always say you're gonna quit, you'll never do", or jeers, "last year you said the same thing, you're still here now", or mocks, "I've heard that before". The fact is that I did have serious plans to leave my job. But something even more serious and important came up in my life that made those plans inadmissible. At least for the time being. Why should I be subjected to such sneering of skepticism, or be taunted with accountability to them? Or is it with the liability to my declaration of plans? (And hence the embarrassment that follows when they fail?)

I used to believe that announcing my intentions would gather support from friends, or affirmations from the good-willed. Afterall, for a major decision such as changing your job or buying a property, you ought to let everyone in your network know your plans so they can keep a lookout for you, or throw in their two-cent worth of advice, right? Wrong.

Firstly, no one cares that much. Only nosey folks make useless small talks. Because they are also eager to take a jab at you when your "life-changing plans" fail. Friends (and I use the term loosely) who congratulate you on your entrepreneurship now will be quick to throw in those "I already knew"-counsel once you fall from grace.

Secondly, when you share your intentions with the wrong crowd, you will attract their discouragement and unbelief. All the "you shouldn't"s and the "you can't"s. These negative energies can undermine your motivation. Focus on your plan, not on what they think you shouldn't/cant' do.

The other downfall of announcing your plans is that you will give yourself a "premature sense of completion" as mentioned here. And I quote,

You have “identity symbols” in your brain that make your self-image. Since both actions and talk create symbols in your brain, talking satisfies the brain enough that it “neglects the pursuit of further symbols.”

Announcing your plans to others satisfies your self-identity just enough that you’re less motivated to do the hard work needed.

Simply talking about it dissipates the energy that motivates you to put it into action. Don't lose the energy focus. Act on the motivation.

It may be difficult to hold in your excitement about that new plan. It is tough to not share your goals with your mates. But go against your natural instinct if you have to. Don't attract their pessimism. Save your energy for the hard work of your plan.

If you have any plans in life, just do it.
Plan and execute them, in secrecy.

Just. Do. It.
In secrecy.

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
- Albert Einstein

5 comments:

  1. Actually I differ in opinion. I like to announce my plans to the friends I care about because I know that every high level change of plans will require lots of hardwork in implementation, and there will be many times where I want to just give up the vision and go back to my comfort zone.

    Telling people helps me to motivate myself not to give up when the going gets tough because as you said, like it or not people judge in their own way.

    Hang in there =). You can count on us to help you settle back home nicely =). Let us know your challenges and I'm sure we will all be glad to help you meet your personal goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. miss say, we are all hindsight experts and those 'i knew it all along' people are simply that - experts with the benefit of hindsight. why not dispel their negative energy with what t-bag (from the prison break series) would have said? "i will not be held captive of your negativity." and when you succeed in your plans...how about borrowing a quote from those creative tee shirts? "just did it. just didn't tell you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!!!!!! shouted.

    LoL

    welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey LLB..

    I share your sentiments, it's your freedom to share your plan with your friends, for the sake of sharing and not in necesarily in exchange for anything..

    Ill intentioned or not, friends or not, feedback is a natural thing to expect, sometimes, feedback is like fortune telling, believe the good ones, and take the crappy ones as, well, crap.. Nonetheless, you should be able to tell genuine feedback and benefit from them, considering the source :) ..

    Well, it's true to focus on the doing and less on the talking.. Realistic plan you should have.. All the best and hoep you'll be rooted to the ground more often :)

    Take care and see you...

    ReplyDelete