Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Other The One

Feeling emo today and realising I'd probably not get any work done after running my errands in town, I decided to get my hair done. I always fix my hair -- cut, colour, rebond, treatment, you name it! -- when I come back to town since I only trust my hairdresser when it comes to my tresses.

Miss Say has an advice with regards to your crowning glory: Your hairdresser is one of the most important persons in your life. Treat him/her well.

You won't find your ideal hairdresser instantly. You have to experiment different hairdressers, visit various salons, endure bad cuts, burn plenty of moolah at expensive professional-use hair products which promises shampoo-ad-worthy hair. Eventually, if you are lucky, you will find that perfect hairdresser -- The One, for you. Then stay with him/her. Till death do you part.

Here's some unconventional tips to look out for in your hairdresser:

1) Delivers results
Basically he should does what his job requires him to do -- cut/colour/etc. A decent job, if not spectacular. If you trying out a new hairdresser, he must at the very least does what he promises to do. If he says a certain cut will frame your face nicely, it'd better does that! I'm not saying he ought to be a magician and miraculously make your face less chubby with a wave of his scissors. But it should be somewhat close -- some obvious deliverable you can see and agree to.

2) Does not hard-sell
Very important rule.
This is a hairdressing for goodness sake, not sales. No decent stylist should behave like a salesman and persuade you relentlessly to sign up for hair packages! They may recommend certain treatment or products, but only once. I hate to spend four hours in the salon chair feeling jittery about when he'll find a new "monthly special" package to recommend me again. No thanks. And only no thanks, once.

3) Chats with you, but not too much
The hairdresser should treat you feel like a frequent flyer with special privilege reserved only for the regulars. These could be asking about the holiday trip you mentioned during your last trip to the salon, or about your pet dog, etc. But more importantly, s/he must not chat incessantly. I like to enjoy having someone shampoo my hair and massage my scalp, and I like to have these done in peace. So if your hairdresser is a chatterbox, consider being a little "unfriendlier" or colder so s/he gets it. Do it at your own risk (of the relationship!).

4) Make helpful recommendation
I wanted to get my whole hair recoloured and rebonded today. But my stylist said only the roots need to be fixed. "You sure?" I asked. He reassured saying he wouldn't turn down money if he could. So he did the minimal work on the roots. And indeed my hair looks like its got a fresh colour boost now that the roots -- and only the roots -- are fixed!

5) Discuss with you prior to any action
This could be either the cost of any product/service, or explaining the service procedure. A good stylist may even go into explaining why certain products is more suitable for your hair quality than others. Never allow the stylist to do anything to your hair without first consulting you. And never be shy to ask about the price first. You should decline if you don't feel comfortable paying for that product/service. And the stylist should not push it. This is the reason why I kept going back to my stylist, he's great with talking me through each step -- he even checks if I'm rushing for time so he can adjust the time needed for leaving the chemicals on my hair. Or asks if the smell of hair chemical is too strong for me.

6) Regular's discount
My hairdresser gives me discounts or promotional price without me having to ask. That's the best part about keeping a regular and responsible hairdresser. You know both your hair and your wallet are taken care of. Today, my stylist even gave my hair a special treatment free-of-charge! He won some hair products in a styling competition and isn't at all stingy in sharing the winning. He rubbed the product into the hair meticulously, as if I was paying for that service. Now that's what I call a great hairdressing experience!

7) Male hairstylist
One last tip I learnt from a girl friend ten years ago. Get a male hairstylist (if you are a girl). Female stylist tend to be task-focused and is less delicate with your head. Male stylists are gentler with ladies' tresses and won't pull out a lock of your mane while combing through it. Over the years, even when I change my stylist, I still request for another male stylist. I promise you this is the most useful tip I've ever learnt. Gay or straight, doesn't matter. But isn't it uber cool like to boast of a gay hairstylist on your speed dial?

1 comment: