Thursday, June 4, 2009

Present Tense

I've always loved poetry. I even took up an elective in American Literature in the university. That was when I was exposed to Robert Frost, Edgar Allen Poe, and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and the likes. More than once I've had the goosebumps feelings when a certain poetry struck a chord in me. How could a few simple words put together be so beautiful, and meaningful?

This poem by Jason Lehman brought a little tear to my eyes when I read it this evening. It is tragically beautiful.

It was Spring.
But it was Summer I wanted,
The warm days,
And the great outdoors.

It was Summer.
But it was Fall I wanted,
The colorful leaves,
And the cool, dry air.

It was Fall.
But it was Winter I wanted,
The beautiful snow,
And the joy of the holiday season.

It was Winter.
But it was Spring I wanted,
The warmth,
And the blossoming of nature.

I was a child.
But it was adulthood I wanted,
The freedom,
And the respect.

I was twenty.
But it was thirty I wanted,
To be mature,
And sophisticated.

I was middle-aged.
But it was twenty I wanted,
The youth,
And the free spirit.

I was retired.
But it was middle-age I wanted,
The presence of mind,
Without limitations.

Then my life was over.
And I never got what I wanted.

~ Present Tense by Jason Lehman (1989) ~

No comments:

Post a Comment