Monday, June 22, 2009

Mediterranean


I'm sitting here on the balcony of my room in a five-star hotel, on a beautiful Mediterranean island in the perfect heat of summer time. The air is salty but cool. Each breath I take is light and refreshing. The warm sunshine beats down on my fresh golden tan skin. I look out at the cloudless sky, the blue and white stripes sundecks spotting all the balconies, I hear the carefree laughter of the kids playing in the swimming pool nearby, and the giggles of the teenagers too. I feel a strange sense tranquillity overruns me.

I know days like that will never come again.

Close my eyes, take a deep breath of the sea air. Forgetting yesterday's mistakes and tomorrow's worries, summer times and the privilege of youth never felt better than now. Now. This special moment. I. Am. Satisfied.

And for all the grumbles I have about this business of travelling alone, I feel like now is Paradise. This is what it means to be living! This will never come again! This life, this perfect moment of serenity in this splendid little Mediterranean island. This moment will last forever in my mind. For the rest of my life.

That's the lure of the Mediterranean. Summer days never end. Youth lasts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment